From our School Psychologist
The purpose of Advisory is for teachers to engage students in social-emotional curriculum.
In addition, this time is for all students to have a chance to develop a connection with an advisor, other students, and the school as whole.
Advisory Topics 2016-2017
- Creating Courage : Take a Stand Against Bullying
- Bullying Basics : What is bullying? What does bullying look like?
- Personal Priorities : Who am I? What is important to me?
- Self-Confidence : Why is self-confidence important?
- In Control : How do I handle my feelings? What are coping mechanisms? How should I respond?
- Everyone Is Unique : How are people different? How are people the same? How can I be respectful? Who can help?
- Making and Keeping Friends : What are the qualities of a good friend? What is peer pressure?
- Resolving Conflicts : What are my rights and responsibilities? What should I do?
Advisory and Panther Pride Dates
Advisory Topics 2017-2018
The Six Pillars of Character
- TRUSTWORTHINESS: Members of a community must be able to depend upon and trust one another.
- RESPECT: Means dealing peacefully with others, considering their feelings, and accepting their differences.
- RESPONSIBILITY: We all have a responsibility to create a school climate where all students can thrive.
- FAIRNESS: Means making sure no one is taken advantage of and everyone is able to use the resources available.
- CARING: Is a powerful antidote to bullying. All bullying behaviors are uncaring in that they represent a disregard for who one's words and actions affect others.
- CITIZENSHIP: Good citizenship requires actively trying to make your school or community better.
More to come....
Paying attention to, something, in a particular way, on purpose, in the present moment, non-judgmentally!
Here is how to tune into mindfulness
- Set aside some time (you don't need a mediation cushion or bench :)
- Observe the present moment as it is (goal is to pay attention to a present moment)
- Let you judgement roll by
- Return to observing the present moment as it is
- Be kind to your wandering mind
What are the benefits :)
- Connect better
- Lower stress
- Focus your mind
- Reduce brain chatter